Dorset Camping weekend

Present: Claire (organiser), Alan, Bruce, Sarah and Hannah, Richard, Fiona, Tavie and Maud, Steve and Joanne, Dave, Nicola and Maddie, Martin, Olga and Caitlin, Paula, Maggie, Sue, Andy C

Due to a combination of poor summer weather and the Olympics, this was the first (and last) camping trip of the season at nn excellent site right by the coastal path. It was a little exposed as the first arrivals soon found out, battling with the wind and rain to get the first couple of tents up. Mission accomplished, the afternoon was spent in the tent chatting and drinking and watching the tents and gazebo’s of our neighbours fly past. Few people made it down on Friday night, but those of us there had an entertaining evening sat on bales of hay(?!) in Steve’s tent.

The weather looked more promising on Saturday, and after a short bus ride to West Lulworth, Claire led Alan, Maggie, Paula, Andy and Steve on an energetic hilly coastal walk via Mupe Rocks, Lulworth Cove, Durdle Door, and Ringstead to the Smugglers Inn at Osmington Mills – nicely timed for the heavy downpour, so staying there longer than planned. Martin, Olga and Caitlin were also taking shelter here. The final stretch back to the campsite was extremely muddy, so not so good for Alan who had walked most of the route without a sole to his boots! Back at the campsite, the most was made of the dry spell, and the BBQ’s and camp fire were lit, with many seeing it through to the early hours.

A sunny Sunday morning saw many head down to the beach to make the most of it, with some venturing into the sea. Claire, Alan, Sue and Maggie walked inland, via the Osmington white horse, and picking up the South Dorset Ridgeway to Hardy’s monument, with lovely views to Maiden Castle and Chesil Beach. From Portesham it was another bus trip back, via a short coffee break in Weymouth. More BBQ’s were lit – the better option compared to queuing 2 hours for a stone baked “mini” pizza. However, a slight accident involving a marshmallow, saw Bruce (and his dad Jim via mobile phone) administer first aid on Alan’s burnt finger.

A number of folks played it safe and left after dinner, with storms forecast for the morning. The weather was indeed very horrible in the morning, so once packed up everyone headed home. A typical British August bank holiday weekend.

Related Images:

This entry was posted in Reports. Bookmark the permalink.