Newbury Mountain Club (the Club) is committed to respecting your privacy. This notice is to explain how we may use personal information we collect before and during your membership of the Club. This notice applies to you if you have registered to become or are a member of our club, or have expressed an interest in joining. This notice explains how we comply with the law on data protection, what your rights are and who will be the data controller of any of your personal information.
The Club collects and processes data for the following purposes, which are described in more detail in the following sections:
- To manage the membership of the club.
- To inform members and supporters of activities of the club and other relevant information.
- To organise trips, including payments for them.
- For other purposes necessary for the management of the Club.
The Club committee is collectively responsible for compliance with data protection legislation, in particular the Data Protection Act 2018 and EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The responsibilities of individual members of the committee for particular uses of data are described below, and the committee may appoint one of its members as Data Protection Compliance Manager to oversee overall compliance. Contact details are set out in the “Contacting us” section at the end of this privacy notice.
The Club uses the BMC Database to hold membership data. The Secretary is responsible for maintaining this data, using information provided by members on membership forms. By joining the Club, you give permission for the Club to process the data contained in your membership form for the period of your membership for the purposes set out in this notice. Normally, only the Secretary and Treasurer have access to this database, but the committee can appoint another of its members to have access if either of them will be unavailable for an extended period.
Members are requested to inform the Secretary of any changes to the membership information.
The Data Controller for this information is the BMC, and more information about how the BMC uses data can be found at www.thebmc.co.uk/privacy.
The Club maintains an email forwarder to inform members and supporters about club events. Committee members have access to this, to manage the list and to access the names and email addresses of members for the purpose of club admininstration. Former members are removed from this list three years after their membership expires, or on request.
The Club may also use this list to inform members and supporters of other events and information that they may find of interest. The Club does not make this list available to any other organisation, or permit it to be used for marketing of other organisations.
To participate in a Club trip, you will need to send an email to the trip organiser. To facilitate sharing of transport and catering, the organiser will usually send an email ‘to’ the participants, in which all email addresses will be visible. If you do not wish your email address to be made available to other participants, please inform the organiser. However, this may prevent you from participating in shared food or transport.
The Treasurer maintains records of payments for club trips, which are shared with trip organisers. These are retained in accordance with normal accounting practice.
The club maintains a website, which includes reports and photos of club trips. If you do not wish to be included, please inform the trip organiser. If you wish to have your personal data or a photo including you removed from the website, please contact the Club webmaster through ‘contact us’ below.
Administration of the Club
The Club may collect personal data necessary for administration of the Club. This will normally be restricted to members of the committee, unless it needs to be shared for specific reasons such as for professional advice, an insurance claim, in case of emergency, or as required by law. This might include ‘Special Category’ data relating to an individual’s health.
Unless otherwise stated, the maximum period for retention of data is three years, apart from:
- Date of joining the club, which can be retained until three years after membership expires.
- Data relating to members or participants on trips who were under the age of eighteen at the time, which can be retained until three years after they reach the age of eighteen.
- Data that may be required for legal, personal injury or insurance purposes.
- Data relating to people who have enquired about the club but not joined or participated in a trip is deleted after a maximum of one year.
- Trip reports and photos, which can be retained indefinitely.
The Club Secretary and Treasurer are responsible for retention of data in their areas of responsibility. Other committee members and members should delete data once the purpose for which it was provided is fulfilled.
Further information and how to contact us
The Club processes data for the purposes of establishing or maintaining membership or support for the Club, in accordance with the Section 2 (2) (g) of the Schedule to the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018 and related guidance by the Information Commissioner.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used;
- the right to access the personal information we hold about you;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you;
- the right to request the erasure of your personal information in certain limited circumstances;
- the right to restrict processing of your personal information where certain requirements are met;
- the right to object to the processing of your personal information (including for direct marketing);
- the right to request that we transfer elements of your data either to you or another service provider; and
- the right to object to certain automated decision-making processes using your personal information (the Club does not undertake any automatic decision-making).
For further information, see the website of the Information Commissioner: www.ico.org.uk
In the event of any query or complaint in connection with the information we hold about you, please contact the club secretary.