Date / Time
Date(s) - 4 Aug 2018 until 5 Aug 2018 All Day
This event is being led by Dorian, our club president and certified Mountain Leader…
The Hill & Mountain Skills scheme is a great way to develop your personal skills and confidence in all elements of hill and mountain walking. From planning a coastal walk to navigating in complex terrain, these courses are an ideal opportunity to learn the basics and enjoy the countryside.
The Hill & Mountain Skills courses are nationally accredited and developed by Mountain Training and will be delivered by a Mountain Training England approved Provider just for NMC Members.
What does the Mountain Skills Course Cover?
– Planning – how to successfully plan a walk in the mountains in the UK or Ireland.
– Walking skills – what things should you consider while out walking and what can make life easier (pace, nutrition, movement skills, steep ground etc.).
– Clothing and equipment – being suitably dressed and equipped can make the difference between a great day out and a complete disaster.
– Weather – how it affects the mountains and your day out.
– Navigation in the mountains – everything from selecting a compass and using a map to navigation in poor visibility and an intro to GPS.
– Environmental knowledge – how to minimise your impact on the hill, information on good practice and useful organisations.
– Hazards and emergency procedures in the mountains – how to respond to any hazards you encounter and what to do in an emergency.
Registration for the Scheme
Each participant must register with the Hill & Mountain Skills scheme with Mountain Training prior to attending the course, this is a one off fee of £10 for 14 to 24 year olds and £20 for over 25 year olds which gives you a range of excellent benefits:
– Access to both Hill and Mountain Skills courses
– A copy of the Safety on Mountains book worth £6.99
– A certificate of attendance from either or both courses
– Lifetime use of the Digital Logbook for recording all mountain related activities
To register you need to create an account on the Mountain Training Candidate Management System and then register for Hill & Mountain Skills (HMS). This registration cost is in addition to the course fee.
More information can be found in the Scheme Handbook or on the Mountain Training website. http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/skills-and-awards/hill-and-mountain-skills
Organiser Dorian Thomas